Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 1: New Year's Day

Redondo Beach, January 1, 2012

This morning's weather and a walk from Redondo Beach to Hermosa Beach for breakfast was the perfect way to start the New Year and the "In My 50th Year" blog. Not only for the obvious reason---it is not only one of the most beautiful places to be, but also because I am living in the area that I was born in and that seems really fitting since I am reflecting on my life now.

There was a time that I thought I would never be back and could write volumes about why we left in the first place, how traumatic that was for an 8-year old, how I came back, and all the drama and comedy that goes with that story. But that is not what this blog is about.

It is about remembering and acknowledging the good. And, since I really don't like to use new-agey words like "gratitude" or "appreciation" to describe things, I will only use them when I really am feeling them. Which is what I am feeling today; I really am grateful and so appreciative that I get to live where I do.

Not that this is a big epiphany (big word I know). There's not a day that goes by when I don't recognize this. I live about 1.5 miles from the ocean, and each day, feel the daily sea breeze (so consistent they even named the local paper after it) and within 5 minutes, can watch the sun setting over the ocean whenever I want to.

It's just that some days, I wonder what if, and dream of living other places, think that maybe the grass is greener somewhere else. But today, when I take the time to really look at where I am and all that is here aside from the beauty and enormity of the ocean, I really do feel gratitude about the place I call home.

Redondo Beach Pier & Breakwater

No comments:

Post a Comment