Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 9: In Pursuit of the Positive via Madonna

I knew that when I set out to write something positive every day for an entire year that I would have some days when I just didn't feel that way. I was hoping I could at least make it more than a week, but I couldn't. Instead of making it worse by getting mad at myself for that, as someone I know always says "it just is" so I am just going to accept it as that.

Not that there's anything spectacularly bad about today. Thankfully nothing horrible happened, just the usual things that come with working; technological glitches and the inability to get a project finished because I am once again waiting for other people, something I am horrible at. I am even worse at it when it is work that I don't particularly like to do, which is the case with this, but it is paid work.

So, instead of whining about it, I am working on moving past it and reminding myself that it is paid work, something that is very good and very necessary as I write a book that may or may not make me any money and if it does, won't make me anything for at least another year.

And as I wrote last week, when I am feeling less than perky, music can perk me up. And, today I actually played this because it is such a happy song, and it makes me want to dance and dancing always makes me feel good. Plus, I can't forget the first time I heard her. I was in college and was shocked to hear dance music coming from the radio since there was such an anti disco/dance music backlash when this came out (it was 1983).

Some of my friends and I had to go down to Togo's to watch MTV because we had to see who it was that was singing this and we were shocked when we saw her. For my younger friends, MTV was a major deal in the early years, you didn't just have it, it was a premium channel and was usually only in public places because of the cost and it just wasn't available everywhere.


Love her or hate her, Madonna's influence is still being felt today (Katy Perry, Lady Gaga). And I defy anyone who is still breathing to not at least tap along with the beat; it is infectious. Is it deep or a classic? Maybe not, but it does kind of sound like she's advocating world peace. And if nothing else, it is positive.

Holiday

Holiday Celebrate
Holiday Celebrate

[Chorus:]
If we took a holiday
Took some time to celebrate
Just one day out of life
It would be, it would be so nice

Everybody spread the word
We're gonna have a celebration
All across the world
In every nation
It's time for the good times
Forget about the bad times, oh yeah
One day to come together
To release the pressure
We need a holiday

[chorus]
You can turn this world around
And bring back all of those happy days
Put your troubles down
It's time to celebrate
Let love shine
And we will find
A way to come together
And make things better
We need a holiday

[chorus]
Holiday Celebrate
Holiday Celebrate

[chorus]
Holiday Celebrate
Holiday Celebrate

Holiday, Celebration
Come together in every nation

No comments:

Post a Comment