Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 6: The Transformative Power of Music

Those of you who know me pretty well, know that that I love music. And, on most days, I listen to music from the time I get up, until the time I go to sleep (for my friend Mr. Literal, just trying to get at the fact that it's on most of the time, don't pop a vein).

Whenever people ask me what my favorite kind of music is, I have a hard time answering that because I love all kinds of music with the possible exception of country music and hard core rap.

But, there are some kinds of music that I like more than others. I like "Adult Alternative" which pretty much covers a lot of different styles and groups for me including Snow Patrol, Radiohead, Mat Kearney, Matt Nathanson, Fitz and the Tantrums, O.A.R., Augustana, Kings of Leon, Death Cab for Cutie, Bon Iver, and even older groups like the Cranberries, 10,000 Maniacs, REM, etc., etc. And of course, I like classic rock, but nowadays the definition of classic rock has changed and includes 70's rock (ouch) and 60's rock is now considered part of "oldies." Used to be (back in my day, another cliche that irritates the hell out of me) that oldies consisted of 50's music which I never liked and still don't.

I also like R&B, especially Neo-Soul and of course what VH1 plays on Soulphrodisiac, sigh....I also like classical music, yeah, you know "real" classical music like Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven, especially when I am writing, I can listen and not sing along or get lost in a song. I also like jazz, and smooth jazz.

And, I don't think I am unusual in this, what I listen to depends on how I am feeling, what I am doing, or where I am going. It also depends on what kind of mood I am in, or what kind of mood I want to be in because music has the power to transform my mood like nothing else can. I am amazed at its power and it has always been that way for me. I can listen to a song from different times in my life and instantly get transported back there. Or, I can be very sad and put on a song that reminds me of happier times and feel better right away.

If there is a song I know and like, I cannot help but sing along, often at the great discomfort of those around me. I might be at the age where I forget what I went into the other room for, but I still remember the lyrics to songs. I always tell people that once my ability to do this starts to go away, you will know my memory is going.

For the past year, one of the songs that keeps playing in my head is Let Go by Frou Frou (with the amazing Imogen Heap), especially the line, "Oh let go and just get in. Oh, it's so amazing here. It's alright because there's beauty in the breakdown." This video has the lyrics included, hope you enjoy it :)!


No comments:

Post a Comment