Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day 29: Accidentally Taking The Day Off

I didn't plan on taking the day off today. I actually had planned to write at least one of the sidebars for the current book chapter I am working on, which happens to be the last chapter of our book.

I am writing about one of my farmer friends, John Forneris, who still farms in the San Fernando Valley on land leased next to Mission San Fernando's Cemetery (nice ha), and who has a produce stand, and each fall, a corn maze, pumpkin patch and train rides around the farm.

But, last night my husband suggested that we walk to breakfast either on the pier or in Riviera Village. So, we opted to eat at Polly's On The Pier, a typical hole-in-the-wall place at the beach that I used to eat at almost every weekend, and that I hadn't eaten at since last spring. It was yummy and it was great to get a nice long walk in on such a beautiful day.

I also found that I was tired, it is only about 2.4 miles one way from our house to Polly's, but even after eating, I was tired as soon as we started to head home. So, I told him I needed to stop and rest, so we walked to Veteran's Park and sat for a little while and looked at the view.

As I stared out at the ocean and at the old Library, I remembered when I first moved back to the area to live with my Dad and how alone and scared I felt then. I was 19 years old and I hadn't lived with him since I was 5. But, I would go to the library to study and to find some peace as I was getting to know this man that I didn't really know. Ironically, it turns out that I was so much like him it scared me and I wasn't quite sure what to do with that.

After we made it home from our walk, I spent some more time out on the patio in the back and by then, it was time for lunch. After lunch, it was time for a nap, and by the end of my nap, I realized that I wouldn't be writing today but told myself that I needed the rest so that I could make a fresh start tomorrow, something I always need to do on a Monday. I am actually looking forward to it, I have the rest of the chapter all mapped out in my head, and all I have to do is write it out.


Veteran's Park, Redondo Beach, old Library now Community Center



No comments:

Post a Comment