Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 28: Seeing The Moon & The Stars

Tonight there was a local treat; a "Star Party and Jupiter Viewing" at the Madrona Marsh Nature Center. Madrona Marsh is the last native vernal marsh in our area and was preserved due to some active and involved Torrance residents.

They have all kinds of great programs about natural life, mostly about native plants and flora and fauna, but, they have added more things in the past few years, including astronomical education.

I was surprised to see so many people there. There were people of all ages, many families with little ones, all waiting in line at the telescopes for a chance to to view the moon, Jupiter and Orion. I can honestly say in my 50 years, I have only looked through a telescope a handful of times. It reminded me that I really want to learn more, since the basic Astronomy class I took in college has not stuck with me and what I did know, I have since forgotten.

After we left the Marsh, we headed to my favorite coffee house in Redondo Beach; the Coffee Cartel and listened to some live jazz.

On our way home, we went by the beach and had the chance to see the moon over the ocean. I take so many photos of the sun setting over the ocean, but rarely get the chance to see the moon shining brightly and reflecting off the ocean like it was tonight. It was incredible to see it.

Moon over Redondo Beach

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment