Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 24: The Power of The People In My Life

Like most Tuesdays, I spent a great deal of time today at Wilson Park, first walking two laps with my good friend Ms. Tina (thank you for the company, the talking and the laughing as always), and then shopping at the Torrance Certified Farmers' Market with her. As usual, I came home with a basket full of farm fresh produce, and other goodies including a dozen extra large eggs and some chocolate croissants (come on, it is me, I cannot resist chocolate, some things will never change).

And, tonight, I spent time at a place that I haven't been to in over a year: in the City Council Chambers at the Torrance City Council meeting. I was there to see one of my friends, the dynamic and non-stoppable Janet Payne get a very well deserved, and unexpected award, she received the Jared Sidney Torrance Award, named after the City's founder, and given to citizens for their lifetime of dedication to the community. It is not given out that often and they managed to keep it a secret until tonight. I can't think of anybody more deserving than her. I was so happy to be there to see her get the award and actually become speechless. Something I never thought I would see!

You name it, she volunteers for it. It is Janet who has often "persuaded" me to get involved and volunteer for things: "oh come on we need you on the Board," "oh come on, its just one night, please talk to our homeowners," "oh come on, you should apply for a commission again" And, I was even happier to have had the privilege of having lunch with her last week to catch up after nearly 6 months.

As I wrote about the first week I started this blog, and even as I wrote last week, there are many days when I am not sure I belong here, that I don't fit in, but then when I have a day like this and connect with the people I have met here, especially people like Tina and Janet, and the other friends I saw at the meeting tonight, I feel like I do belong and that I am wanted here.

There are many cliches and quotes that I could use here to describe such friends and people that are in my life, and I could write volumes about what a gift they are to me. But, I came across this today, and thought it spoke more to what I was feeling, and answered the question for me of why I stay here: I stay here because of people like them.


No comments:

Post a Comment