Monday, February 27, 2012

Day 58: Rainy Days And Mondays

Yeah, using a schmaltzy song title from a 1971 Carpenters' song in my subject line is proof of several things. Mainly, that I really am this old and that I love schmaltzy songs. But, it is Monday and it did rain today, and this song popped into my head as it often does on Mondays.

It is not a happy song, but then it's not really a sad one either. It speaks about going to the one who loves you when things are getting you down.

For me, it reminds me of how important it is to feel that you have someone in your life that you can do that with. And when you don't, that's when you start thinking that the song is sad. It makes me remember that it's important that those I love not only know that, but that they really feel it.

It is so ironic to listen to the lyrics and think about Karen Carpenter and wonder if she felt that she didn't have anyone in her life like that.

For those who have no clue about this song, or what I am talking about, here's a video of them performing it. Karen Carpenter had an amazing voice, and she conveyed so much feeling with it. It is so tragic that she had such body image issues and that because of them she died at 32 of heart failure resulting from complications of her disease: anorexia. 




Talkin' to myself and feelin' old
Sometimes I'd like to quit
Nothin' ever seems to fit
Hangin' around
Nothin' to do but frown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down


What I've got they used to call the blues
Nothin' is really wrong
Feelin' like I don't belong
Walkin' around
Some kind of lonely clown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down


Funny, but it seems I always wind up here with you
Nice to know somebody loves me
Funny, but it seems that it's the only thing to do
Run and find the one who loves me (the one who loves me)


What I feel has come and gone before
No need to talk it out
We know what it's all about
Hangin' around
Nothin' to do but frown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down
 

View of PV from Torrance Beach on this rainy Monday



No comments:

Post a Comment