Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 37: Writing A Book: Am I Eccentric or Focused?

It is now 12:45 a.m., which technically means it is Day 38. But, I am still up from Day 37 so that's how I am posting it. Again: my blog, my rules.

The closer the deadline for our book gets, the faster and faster the days go. While I am very close to finishing my last chapter draft, I am starting to feel overwhelmed a bit because there are too many other things that have to be done at the same time. There's paid work, there's cleaning, there's cooking, there's errands, and there's trying to be there for those I love.

My situation isn't really that unique, many people have fuller schedules than I do all of the time. This level of intensity is only for a relatively short period and that part is unique. Come May 1st, I will have much more free time, which ironically, I will probably quickly fill up with the next book, or which I hope to since I am working on another book idea/ proposal now.

While you are working on it, there's no way you can write a book and be half in, you have to be all in.  But, you also have to live and take care of all of those other things in life that you need to take care of otherwise you risk becoming a hermit or even more eccentric than you already are because let's face it, we writers usually are "different."

It's no wonder that we are because it certainly is a very strange way to make a living. As a writer you spend hours alone, in your own world, privately producing a very public product that you hope the rest of the world will actually want to read.

So, I am trying to allow myself to remember that this is a short term thing and that for now, it is okay to be driven and focused and as always I am using quotes (illustrated quotes at that) to remind myself that I can do this!



So,

No comments:

Post a Comment