Monday, March 26, 2012

Day 86: Does Honesty Always Have To Be Brutal?

"They" say that honesty is the best policy and while I wholeheartedly agree with "them," I also agree with those who sometimes refer to people as being "brutally honest."

I know that people often feel this way when "helpful" people give them unsolicited advice, opinions, or feedback about how they should live their life, who they should love, how they should dress, etc. etc. I have to admit that at one time in my life, I was one of the biggest providers of this "helpfulness." Maybe I am finally maturing (or maybe I am just delusional that I am maturing) but, I have realized that it isn't helpful at all, just invasive, judgmental, and downright rude.

I think this was my mantra for a long time:



But now, instead of being unnecessarily "helpful" to others, I am now being unnecessarily helpful to myself and being even more brutally honest. And, I am learning that it is no less hurtful or brutal when I do it to myself, than when I do it to other people. In fact, if I am too brutal to myself it stops me dead in my tracks.

So, I have been looking at things differently this past week. As long as I feel like being brutally honest, I decided to just let myself wallow (yep, there's that word again) in the fact that I think the worst has happened and if so, to just think about the good that can come from it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment