Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 68: Napping It Out

Since I have written at the top of this blog that each day I am going to share something positive or something that I have learned or discovered, I am doing my best not to write about the fact that my head feels like it is going to explode, my nose and ears are stuffed, my eyes are watering, and when I cough I sound like I have consumption. The bottom line is I am actually sick with a cold or who knows what. I usually get a sinus infection around the start of spring, but this is a bit more than that.

I know I sound like a whiner and I suppose I am whining but I know it will pass. I have a cold, not the plague, and it is not serious, just inconvenient. Especially since I was trying to edit the book and I could not keep my eyes open.

That made me discover something today that might be worth sharing. That is that usually I don't give myself permission to stop and do nothing unless I am sick or exhausted. I am once again reminded that this is not a good thing. It is okay to just take some time to recharge and not feel like you need a reason to do that.

Probably one of the reasons I got sick is because I have been staying up until 12 or 1 every morning and not sleeping late enough, and generally not taking care of myself. Ironically, if I had, I would be done editing the chapters I wanted to today.

I also did something I don't do much anymore: I took a nap, one of my favorite things ever. I love it, always have. I remember when I was in college I tried to arrange my schedule so I could have as many naps as possible. Of course, I needed them then since I usually stayed up late and never slept at night. But again, I digress.



I think my whole point with this is to just remember that being overly productive doesn't necessarily make me a better person. That doesn't mean I need to be a lazy slug all the time. However, I will be always be a Banana Slug, since I am a proud UC Santa Cruz grad. and 100% slug! I just need to remember balance, all things in moderation. Something I am not good at.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment