Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day 127: Of Moonlight and Memories

While the "Super Moon" was actually last night, for some reason I am feeling "moony" tonight (wow, only 127 days in and the puns are already really bad, this does not bode well for the 238 days still ahead). 
Super Moon, May 5, 2012
I did something today I haven't had the chance to do in a while: I actually worked/weeded in my garden. Not that you can tell since the weeds are still seriously out of control. But, at least I made some progress.

While my weeding is in no way related to the moon (super or otherwise), and is just once again proof of my randomness, there is actually a connection, albeit a slight one. So once again, you can hang in here to see if I get there, or, you can step away from the blog now and save yourself.

As I was weeding, I was thinking that 50 is now just about a week away (one week tomorrow). And, while I have been talking about it, writing about it, and generally just whining about it, it still is hard for me to believe that I am actually going to be 50. But it is a fact.

While coming to terms with this fact, I started to think about all of the "milestones" in my life, or at least, those that make me smile the most. Some of which would really be TMI. While I thought about so many, the one that stood out for me was my first quad dance at UC Santa Cruz. I am sure that popped into my head because I was still thinking about last night's Super Moon and there is definitely a connection between moons and quad dances.

For those who aren't quite sure what a quad dance is. I will explain, but I am sure it is the same at every college. Basically, we literally had dances outside on the quad/quadrangle in front of 4 dorms, usually the Upper Quad at Stevenson College because the Upper Quad was the loudest area. There was always somebody playing DJ, and there was always at least one keg of beer in close proximity, and of course assorted other alcoholic beverages and other substances (which of course were never visible and actually not usually out on the quad).

There was nothing fancy about a quad dance, and yet there was something magical about them. While hearts were often broken, true love was also always a possibility especially when the DJ would crank up what I came to realize was THE theme song of a quad dance: Van Morrison's "Moon Dance."

I still can't think of anything more romantic than literally dancing under the moon to these lyrics with someone:

"Well it's a marvelous night for a Moondance. 
With the stars up above in your eyes.
A fantabulous night to make romance"


No comments:

Post a Comment