Thursday, April 5, 2012

Day 96: "I Me Mine"

I have been pondering this for a long time and this morning when I was talking to my good friend, Pablo, it came up again. As I always write here, things just always repeat themselves, and keep appearing in your life.

So, what deep thing were we discussing? The fact that today is the official start of baseball season? No, but that is an exciting thing, especially since I am going to be seeing my Giants play in SF on my 50th birthday! The fact that the LA Kings only need one more point to ensure a playoff spot? Nah, but that's important too.

While it wasn't something we talked about a lot, it was something that we have both noticed. That is the seemingly endless tendency of some people in our lives to be completely and utterly narcissistic, and to drone on and on about themselves, as if we didn't even matter.

After we talked and I took my walk, I was thinking about how every time I talk to somebody like this, all I can hear in my head is George Harrison singing "I Me Mine."

 
"I Me Mine" (Let It Be Naked") Version

All I can hear I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
Even those tears I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
No one's frightened of playing it
Everyone's saying it,
Flowing more freely than wine,
All thru' Your life, I me mine.

I-I-me-me mine,
I-I-me-me mine,
I-I-me-me mine,
I-I-me-me mine.

Now I realize that this is an ironic observation considering that I am writing this on a completely self-absorbed, "I Me Mine" blog about how hard it seems to be for me to turn 50. But at least I am aware that I do this and I consciously try to stop doing it. 
 
I realize if I don't, people get tired of having one-sided friendships and won't want to be your friend. They start to pull back. If you wonder why they don't talk to you as much, this is why. You aren't giving them anything in return, only taking.
 
I want to be the kind of friend that listens and supports, and that you don't feel is going to "one up" you when you tell them how bad (or even how good) your life is. I think that's the kind of friend we are all looking for. I know it's the kind of friend that I strive to be. If I fall short at times, I am counting on my friends to tell me.




No comments:

Post a Comment