Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day 94: Bad Karma or Just A Bad Time?

For the past two weeks I have walked around feeling like Pigpen from the Peanuts comic strip. But, instead of a big dust and dirt cloud following me around, there seems to be a big cloud of bad karmic payback or disaster following me around.

I think he's very cute, even with all that dirt. But the hair; now that I look at him closely, my hair does look like his!
In yet another example of how my life has been going, last night I was flossing my teeth, doing what the dentist and my hygienist want me to do. In short, I was doing the right thing. Or, so I thought. As I moved to the top left side of my mouth, the floss got stuck in one of my teeth, which it has been kind of doing the past few weeks, but this time it got REALLY stuck.

So, being the Einstein that I am, I pulled it out and hard. The next thing I heard was the sound of half of my tooth falling into the sink. Following that was the sound of my own voice, nearly screaming, "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit." This was almost immediately followed by the sound of Danny's footsteps running to me in the bathroom to see what all the "oh shitting" was about, and then agreeing with me that yes, in fact my tooth did break in half. 

The good news is that they got me in this morning, and that it was a clean break and that the 20+-year-old filling in that tooth needed replacing anyway. I got fitted for a crown and am now sporting a temporary crown. The bad news is of course the $1,200 price tag for my lovely new dental hardware. We have been shopping for new insurance but weren't fast enough in choosing it. Sigh....

I know that "bad things happen to good people" (hey, my first tired cliché in a long time) and things just happen. But, I also can't help but wonder why bad things seem to happen all at once. I know in the bigger picture they haven't been that bad. It's just that I feel like I am spiraling out of control and am desperately trying to find the center in my karmic dust cloud so that I am reassured that I have not completely lost control of my own life.


No comments:

Post a Comment